Human Services

Bachelor of Science in Integrated Human Services

On this page:

Why Choose Integrated Human Services?

The integrated human services program will train you to work in human service agencies that serve people who have disabilities, are homeless, are involved in the court system, use assistive technology, and in a variety of other circumstances. Some common entry points for you would be in case management, employment services, assistive technologies, court systems, and social services. The program can also connect you to graduate programs such as clinical mental health counseling, occupational therapy, or related fields. Curriculum flexibility allows you to develop a program that reflects your special interests.

Program Highlights

  • 400-hour internship required, providing you with an opportunity to connect with professionals and organizations in the community.
  • Ability to pursue a variety of positions upon graduation that focus on serving individuals and communities.
  • High-need career field with projected growth being higher than average in the next 10 years.

Related Program

Minor in Integrated Human Services

Combined Degree Program - Integrated Human Services (B.S) - Clinical Mental Health Counseling (M.S.)
For more information, please contact Joseph Keferl.

Joseph Keferl, Rh.D., CRC, Program Director

For general questions contact an academic advisor in the CHEH Academic Advising Office.


Employment Options For the Integrated Human Services Graduate

A degree in integrated human services can lead to a variety of careers that focus on serving communities and individuals. Below are examples of positions an integrated human services graduate may consider pursuing. According to, employment of community and social service occupations is projected to grow 11 percent from 2018 to 2028, much faster than the average for all occupations, adding about 306,200 jobs.

  • Vocational evaluator
  • Geriatric rehabilitation specialist
  • Work adjustment specialist
  • Children's rehabilitation specialist
  • Substance abuse worker
  • Intake specialist
  • Case manager for the court system
  • Rehabilitation technician
  • Case manager for children's services
  • Disability services office technician
  • Case manager for persons with MR/DD
  • Supportive employment specialist
  • Case manager for persons with mental illness
  • Private practice rehabilitation
  • Specialist with people who are HIV positive or have AIDS
  • Independent living center employee
  • Group home/residential specialist
  • Suicide prevention specialist
  • Adoption worker
  • Human services worker
  • Job placement specialist
  • Worker with battered women
  • Job coach
  • Sheltered workshop employee
  • Habilitation specialist
  • Community awareness coordinator
  • Parole officer/probation officer
  • Workshop specialist
  • Worker with the homeless
  • Public relations specialist
  • Transition specialist
  • Grief specialist
  • Prosthetics designer
  • Rehabilitation technologist
  • Behavior management specialist
  • Human resources specialist
  • Supportive services specialist
  • Assistive technology specialist
  • Disability services specialist
  • CASA case manager
  • Case services specialist
  • Victim advocate
  • Opportunity to become a licensed chemical dependency counselor assistant

The integrated human services program can also be a connection to various graduation programs. Some examples include counseling programs and occupational therapy.

The College of Health, Education, and Human Services has provided a dedicated career consultant to assist you in connecting your major to a career. The career consultant focuses on staying up to date on career trends in education, kinesiology and health, leadership, and human services. Our assigned career consultant is an extension of services offered through Wright State’s Career Services.

View the integrated human services program profile for sample occupations, average salary, and employment projections.

Real-World Experience


In addition to classroom training, you can pursue an internship opportunity that fits your needs and interests within the human services field. Internship availability is endless.

All integrated human services majors must complete 400 clock hours of practical experience at a human service agency. This requirement may be satisfied during the senior year by spending one or two semesters at an approved internship site. The one-semester internship requires you to work 25 hours per week for 16 weeks. You may register for a two-semester placement which requires 12.5 hours of work per week for 32 weeks. Integrated human services minors are required to complete a 200-clock-hour internship. Each semester you register for an internship, you are required to pay a lab fee. This is added to your tuition.

You are strongly encouraged to complete all of the requirements at one agency. Spending substantial time with a single agency allows for a more meaningful and rewarding experience. Agencies accept and treat students as entry-level employees who can make meaningful contributions to service delivery programs. This is best accomplished by spending enough time at the agency to become knowledgeable of and involved in the day-to-day operations. During your internship, you may be involved in interviewing, case recording, teaching job-seeking and independent living skills, attending staff meetings, contacting resources, in-service activities, follow-up activities, etc. Generally, you do not receive remuneration for your services. The reward is having the opportunity to learn from professional people extremely competent in providing services to those with disabilities and other life-altering experiences.

Completed applications for an internship must be turned in to the undergraduate integrated human services program advisor by the second Friday of the semester, prior to the semester in which the internship is to be completed. Late applications will result in you completing your internship one semester later than anticipated.

All internship students must be enrolled in the College of Health, Education, and Human Services as a student majoring or minoring in rehabilitation services. In addition, you must have satisfactorily ("C" or above) completed the integrated human services courses and a cumulative 2.5 GPA. You should have general education requirements and elective hours completed, also. Occasionally, students are permitted to take one course concurrently with an internship. This must be approved by the undergraduate integrated human services program director.


  • Have an integrated human services internship application completed by your academic advisor.
  • Provide proof of membership in a human services professional organization, a copy of membership card, or welcome email.
  • Provide proof of professional liability insurance (a copy of HPSO liability certificate required).
  • One copy of resume.
  • One copy of three professional references.
  • Proof of registration with Career Services.
  • Completed and signed Service Learning Agreement form.
  • Attend a mandatory meeting with the program director to go over internship course (RHB 4900) requirements.

NOTE: All of the above are due to 370 Millett Hall by the close of the workday the second Friday of the semester prior to the semester that the internship will be done. You will contact internship sites and interview for the internship after discussing the internship with the integrated human services faculty coordinator.

Success Stories

Academics and Curriculum

View Bachelor of Science in Integrated Human Services program information, degree requirements, and graduation planning strategies in the Academic Catalog.


Admission Requirements

  • Direct admit from high school:
    • Earned cumulative high school GPA of at least 3.25 or a score of at least 22 ACT/1030 SAT.
  • Current Wright State or transfer students:
    • An earned 18 credit hours and a cumulative GPA of at least 2.35.

Admission Process


New Students

Apply to Wright State.


Current Wright State Students in Other Colleges

Submit Major/Minor Change Request form online in WINGS Express. (Select the "Registration and Records" menu and then the "Major/Minor Change Request" option.)

Tuition and Aid

Estimated Cost of Tuition and Fees per Term

  • On average there are lab and classroom fees in general education. They are around $100 per semester.
  • Books and supplies average around $700.
  • Students do have the option to purchase health insurance.

Wright State Tuition and Fees

Financial Aid Sources

Alyce Earl-Jenkins Scholarship for Rehabilitation Majors

Successful applicants will be chosen from undergraduate integrated human services majors who have earned a 3.0 GPA and are enrolled in the integrated guman services internship requirement. Scholarships are awarded through the Wright State scholarship system so any additional information about deadlines, materials to submit, and the actual application can be located at the Enrollment Services (RaiderConnect) scholarship search.

Professional Opportunities

Your college career is the time to begin developing professional relationships you will use to begin your chosen career upon graduation from college. A wide array of opportunities are available. It may be difficult to participate in all activities, maintain good grades, and prepare for the future; however, it is important to begin the process and develop several nurturing relationships that can be expanded and developed as your career begins.

National Organizations

  • The National Rehabilitation Association (NRA) is the professional organization that represents rehabilitation professionals. When you join NRA, you automatically become a member of the state chapter of NRA in the state that the person resides. In Ohio, you become a member of the Ohio Rehabilitation Association (ORA). Additionally, you automatically will become a member of the regional chapter in your state.
  • The National Rehabilitation Counseling Association (NRCA) is a professional organization that represents rehabilitation counselors. It is an independent rehabilitation association that publishes a peer-reviewed journal four times per year and focuses on issues that relate to the field of rehabilitation counseling.
  • The American Rehabilitation Counseling Association (ARCA) is a division of the American Counseling Association (ACA). You must join the American Counseling Association to join ARCA.
  • The International Association of Rehabilitation Professionals (IARP) is the premier global association for professionals involved in private rehabilitation

Take the Next Step

Finding the right college means finding the right fit. See all that the College of Health, Education, and Human Services has to offer by visiting campus.