On this page:
Arranging a Field Experience Site
The Office of Partnerships and Field Experiences arranges all placements in conjunction with and at the recommendation of district administrators.
- All candidates are placed within an approximate 30-mile radius of the Dayton campus.
- Priority is granted to area school districts with which we have partnership agreements in regard to field placements, especially student teaching placements.
- When possible, OPFE takes into account the candidate’s address of residence. Requests for exceptions (with evidence supporting the request) must be identified on the application.
OPFE will avoid arranging placements at:
- Sites that are solicited by the candidate.
- Schools that candidates attended or where family members currently attend.
- Schools where family members currently or have recently been employed.
- Sites where candidates have completed a prior field experience unless special arrangements have been made.
- Requests from a principal or teacher initiated by a candidate will be denied.
For first time applicants, follow these steps:
- Sign in to Pilot (http://pilot.wright.edu)
- Click on the link under Student Support Services that says Taskstream Field Experience.
- Click "I Accept Agreement".
- Click the ENTER CODE button.
- Enter OPFE in the program code in the search box, then click SEARCH.
- Click the Enroll button.
- Click Start working on your new program.
- On the left-hand side of the screen, there is a list of programs and field courses. Find your program, then click on the field experience course you are applying to take.
- Read the information regarding the field experience. Then click the Add Form button.
- Fill out the application, then click Save and Return.
- Finally, be sure to click Submit button in the top right corner.
To access the application for a new academic year (once it is available), follow steps 1 & 2, and a webpage will load with the DRF for last term's application. At the bottom of the screen, click on the button that reads ENTER CODE. You will enter the code OPFE, and follow steps 5-11.
To complete a new application within the same academic year as your previous application, steps 3-7 no longer apply. When clicking the Taskstream Field Experiences link in step 2, a webpage will load, and there will be a box that reads DRF with a link that reads (INSERT Current Year) Dayton Application for Teacher Candidate Field Experience. You will click on this link, and then continue to follow steps 8-11.
For detailed directions, complete with screenshots visit Detailed list of directions with screenshots (PDF)
If after completing this application, you decide to postpone the placement or drop from the program, you must inform the Office of Partnerships and Field Experiences via e-mail of your change in plans at email@example.com.
Field Experience Placement Application Deadlines
- Fall Semester: The deadline to request a placement via Pilot is January 15 (during the prior spring term).
- Spring Semester: The deadline to request a placement via Pilot is September 15 (during the prior fall term).
Background Check Report
Schools hosting our teacher candidates require that they have current BCI and FBI background check reports prior to beginning the placement and continuing throughout the placement. This is mandated by the State of Ohio for the safety of students in the PK-12 schools. OPFE recommends completing these background checks about 6-7 weeks before the start of the placement term. Completed background checks are not required to apply for a field placement; they are needed to participate in the field placement.
Alternative sites in Greene and surrounding counties for background checks (PDF)
Please have your background checks sent to:
Wright State University, CHEH, Attn: OPFE
120 Millett Hall
3640 Colonel Glenn Highway
Dayton, OH 45435
Background check policy (PDF)
Notifications about attending an orientation will be sent to candidates through Wright State email. Candidates should be sure to check their email accounts on a regular basis and RSVP to the appropriate session. These are always held during finals week.
Field Placement Notification
Placement information will be shared with candidates once:
- Candidates have been approved through their Student Services Advisor.
- Candidates have up-to-date BCI/FBI background checks on file with OPFE.
- Candidates are registered for the correct field experience course for the upcoming semester.
- OPFE has received confirmation from the potential building/district administrator for the placement.
- Candidate removal policy:
- Wright State University is committed to the success of every teacher candidate. Wright State University works with all involved parties to ensure a positive experience for the candidate, the cooperating teacher, and the P-12 students. Despite these efforts, situations may arise in which a candidate may be removed from the candidate’s field experience placement site. Teacher candidates are guests of the school in which they are placed. If the field experience placement site asks a candidate to leave for any reason, the candidate must immediately comply. Explanation of our removal policy (PDF)