Teacher Education

Youth and Community Engagement Minor

On this page:

Why Choose Youth and Community Engagement?

The youth and community engagement minor (18 credit hours) is designed for you if you are interested in working with urban youth, education, and community engagement. The interdisciplinary minor is open to students in all academic disciplines. It will enhance and complement your career preparation in education, nonprofit administration, psychology, criminal justice, social work, international studies, community development, and other fields.  

Youth, through service, engagement, and advocacy, are crucial to building a dynamic, inclusive, and forward-looking urban environment. The minor in youth and community engagement will enhance your understanding of the social, economic, political, and cultural aspects of urban communities, including the experiences and challenges of families and youth. You will actively engage in service-learning experiences with K12 schools and community organizations in diverse urban contexts. Through your service-learning experiences, students you will learn about the potential and challenges of the pedagogy of civic engagement while you develop the organizational and leadership skills to address issues facing urban youth, schools, and communities. 

You must successfully complete 9 hours of elective courses selected with the approval of an advisor, along with 9 semester hours of core courses. You may substitute for electives with other courses, including transfer courses, that address youth and families, urban issues, or urban education, with the approval of an advisor. 

Contact Information

For general questions, admission information, licensure information, and transcript evaluation - please visit with an academic advisor in the CHEH academic advising office. 

The minor is co-advised by: 

Romena Holbert, Ph.D. 
Primary faculty advisor contact for Fall Semester

Christa Agiro, Ph.D. 
Primary faculty advisor contact for Spring Semester

Academics and Curriculum

View the Youth and Community Engagement Minor program information and requirements in the Academic Catalog.


Admission Requirements

Available to all Wright State students

Application Process

Current Wright State Students


Submit Major/Minor Change Request form online in WINGS Express. (Select the "Registration and Records" menu and then the "Major/Minor Change Request" option.)

Take the Next Step

Finding the right college means finding the right fit. See all that the College of Health, Education, and Human Services has to offer by visiting campus.